Target: Enhancing respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms where they are most threatened and support human rights defenders
Duration: 3 years old
Location: Mexico (Baja California, Distrito Federal, Warrior, Oaxaca)
Context: In recent years, the Office of the United Nations Human Rights, the Organization of American States, international civil society organizations and national human rights organizations, have reported an increase in murders, threats, harassment and security incidents that have suffered human rights defenders in Mexico.
The various reports of these organizations recognized as being at higher risk for those who defend or accompanying rights to equality and non-discrimination (violence against women and LGBTTI community); the right of access to justice and truth; the rights of migrants; economic rights, social and cultural; and those who defend natural resources, collective rights and the right to water.
The consortium the project is composed of organizations internationally recognized for his work on Human Rights. The member associations of the project are:
– Provide training for human rights defenders in four states of Mexico (Baja California, Distrito Federal, Warrior, Oaxaca) to strengthen the capacities of documentation, incidence, visibility and dialogue with journalists.
– Strengthen the protection of a group of human rights defenders at risk through strategic visibility in media, advocacy with counterparts in Europe and other measures more.
The project is a collaborative effort of various organizations of civil society to improve the situation of human rights defenders in Mexico.
Through advocacy legal documentation and compilation of testimonies of life, the defenders of human rights may identify, prevent and resolve security incidents and learn to promote their work.
Strengthening capacities and strategies for strategic litigation cases of HRDs at risk.
Protection workshops and support for defenders will be made at risk, advocacy workshops, Guidelines, United Nations System, lobbying strategies of regional systems, workshops legal documentation and documentation of evidence in order to give the defense capabilities to record and broadcast their life stories.
To complete these workshops, A workshop was held to improve the skills of interaction with the press.[/tab]
Working with advocacy capacities of civil society and institutional actors both nationally (in Mexico) and internationally (Gin) and European (Brussels and other capitals of the European Union).
These activities were developed with the participation of all stakeholders in the subject, both actors of civil society and institutional actors.
– Press release its launch in the European Parliament: The project for Human Rights defenders presented in Brussels in Mexico (November 2013)
– Photo albums: Project launch in Parliament
– Press call: International Civil Observation Mission will come to Mexico to make visible the work of the defenders of Human Rights (November 2014)
– Press call: The Mexican Human Rights defender Bettina Cruz visit Madrid on 10 and 11 December (December 2014)
– Europe: Alternate plan to defend human rights in Mexico (November 2013)